Monday, November 12, 2012

School

As some of you may know, I have been a homeschooler for all sixteen years of my life. As you can imagine it was a strange experience to be exposed to such a different environment. I went from waking up at eleven some days, to getting up at six fifth teen with a number of things to do for the day. I am only taking two classes, wood shop and auto mechanics. You could say I’m a part time student, but I’d prefer to think about it as a combination education. I still do the required subjects at home, and simply go to school for electives that I otherwise wouldn’t be able to learn about in a home setting. Homeschooling for my family is all about doing what feels right to you. So in a way even when I’m at school I still think of myself as a homeschooler. One of the main things I’ve always heard about the relationship between homeschoolers and normal school kids is that the school kids instantly dislike any homeschooler. My personal experience with public school kids is quite the opposite. So far everyone has been very welcoming and friendly, towards each other and myself. One refreshing thing I like about the school system is the orderly scheduling. One class ends, there’s a small break to allow you to get to your next class, and then the next class starts. A very frustrating thing, not about homeschooling, but about many homeschoolers is their unreliability. I can recall dozens of times where I’ve had to wait for thirty minutes and sometimes even hours for people to show up to events. School on the other hand is run like a machine, everyone gets where they’re going on time, every time. In all I would say that I’m happy with what I’ve done, what I’m doing now and what lies ahead. Alexander Kramer

No comments:

Post a Comment